Committed to Net Zero: Max Fordham sign up to the World Green Building Council's Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment
5 June 2020
Today, on World Environment Day, we have signed up to the World Green Building Council's Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment.
Our commitment follows us becoming the first consultancy to have all of their offices verified as Net Zero Carbon (against the UKGBC Net Zero Carbon Framework) and marks our ongoing commitment to reducing carbon emissions in the building industry and in our own business.
"For over 50 years we have been leading the delivery of sustainable, low energy and low carbon buildings.
Like many others, we feel an urgent need to transform our industry and we are committed to doing so. This urgency is what motivated us to become the first consultancy to have their portfolio of offices verified against the UKGBC Net Zero Carbon Framework and why we are proud to become an early signatory of the World GBC Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment.
We hope that many others in the industry will join us in making these commitments and taking action, as the seismic changes that are needed to protect our futures can only be brought about by mass action and mass collaboration." - Hero Bennett, Sustainability Leader
The 96 commitment signatories include 62 businesses, 28 cities and 6 states/regions internationally. The Commitment aims to accelerate uptake of net zero carbon buildings to 100% by 2050, by promoting the actions of those businesses, governments and NGOs that are on an advanced trajectory.
Most signatories have committed to their offices operating at net zero carbon by 2030, but since we have already achieved this, we have instead committed to continuing to operate at net zero carbon.
Our signing of the World GBC commitment incorporates five aspects, with specific actions for our business against each:
- Commit: Commit to all occupied offices continuing to operate at net zero carbon.
- Disclose: Continue to disclose the operational energy use of the business publicly via Max Fordham’s website.
- Act: Continue to reduce the carbon emissions of the business in accordance with the UKGBC Net Zero Carbon Framework, including reducing operational energy use, increasing renewable energy supply, and offsetting any remaining carbon. Work to deliver net zero carbon buildings for clients.
- Verify: Continue to verify the net zero status of offices against the UKGBC Net Zero Carbon Framework and have this process reviewed by a third party.
- Advocate: Continue to advocate through encouraging all clients to target net zero carbon for their buildings and through promoting net zero carbon in the UK built environment sector.
You can read more about the World GBC Net Zero Carbon Buildings Commitment here.