GRADUATE COMPUTATIONAL / SOFTWARE DESIGN ENGINEER – LONDON OFFICE
This position is available for an immediate start.
Do you want to be involved in shaping the way in which we deliver our projects in new and innovative ways? Want to work for a friendly, flexible and engaged employer? If so, this job is for you!
These are exciting times in the architectural, engineering and construction (AEC) industry. With the rapid developments and improvements in technology, the uptake of new process such as Building Information Modelling (BIM) and the effort to digitalise the industry to increase quality and productivity, this is a period of massive change for the industry. With this change, there are abundant opportunities to improve the buildings we deliver, our internal workflows and the way in which we collaborate with other team members. With this in mind, we are looking to grow our digital design and computational simulation capability to realise these opportunities.
We are looking to recruit a Graduate Computational/Software Design Engineer, to be based from our London Office. We are seeking a passionate and enthusiastic individual to support our engineering project teams and specialist groups in the creation and use of computational tools and workflows.
The successful applicant will be trained in the principles of architectural engineering design and building systems, and will perform analysis and tool development on live projects. The role will consider the whole-life workflow associated with designing and delivering buildings, with a view to developing tools and workflows to improve the quality and efficiency of the work we do. In addition, the successful applicant will work with our in-house development team to develop engineering and administrative tools and software for use by the Practice.
You will receive a technical education in code-based software development.
About the Role
The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Develop bespoke, specialist tools and solutions to answer creative design engineering problems, working closely with specialist groups within the Practice.
- Develop bespoke web-bsed tools and solutions to support our engineering and business support teams, including expanding our current Web Application.
- Develop tools, workflows and apps to automate design processes and create robust, high-quality and rigorously modelled design solutions to generic problems, working closely with the Digital Design team.
- Maintain existing and new internally developed tools that are in use around the practice.
- Provide training, instruction and support to others on the use of in-house tools.
- Work within and support a BIM environment, responding to continuously updating briefs from the Practice BIM specialists.
- Champion creativity and innovation, respond quickly to a rapidly changing industry to help Max Fordham remain at the cutting edge of innovation in the built environment.
About the Person
We value people with the ability to think analytically and creatively, adopting a first principles approach to create elegant and innovative solutions to practical problems. We recruit and train people who can rise to this challenge.
This role requires a motivated team player who is keen and willing to learn. As such, essential personal attributes for this role include a strong sense of ownership for the work that you do. You must care about the presentation and detail of the work and have a strong desire to achieve technicalexcellence and completeness.
Good communication skills are vital in this role, as is an ability to build strong relationships with the Software Development teams and specialist engineering design teams within the Practice.
In summary, the key skills and qualifications required for this role are:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to clearly articulate advanced computational concepts in an easily understandable manner to those not familiar with the process.
- A strong attention to detail
- Initiative and proactive working methodology
- Ability to work well with colleagues to achieve shared goals
- Confidence to interrogate a brief and question supervisors approach rather than following blindly
- Degree in maths, science, engineering or computational design with proven experience of code based analysis
The applicant must be fully IT literate.
It is expected the following skills will be acquired by the applicant through their work at Max Fordham however prior knowledge would be advantageous:
- Knowledge of front-end frameworks such as Vue.js, React or Angular (we currently use Vue.js)
- Enthusiasm to write clean, high quality code and be comfortable to take part in team code reviews.
- Experience using source control such as git or svn.
- Knowledge of relational databases (MySQL or PostgreSQL) and data handling tools (pandas).
- Experience of visual programming software such as Grasshopper and Dynamo
- Experience of CAD packages such as Rhino and Revit.
- Knowledge and understanding of engineering design principles in the built environment
Since 1966, Max Fordham LLP has worked with the world’s leading architects to create beautifully engineered buildings. We make buildings work. We engineer the air, light, sound and energy in buildings. We are the originators of architectural engineering – the drive for engineers to care as much about the finish of the buildings as the architects.
We believe in excellence. Our success is a result of our people. We value all of our employees and partners and provide a creative and inspiring working environment to support them. We attach great importance to the people who join us, and the structure of our organisation is designed to give all who work here a voice in key decisions.
We are also proud of our awards. Building Magazine placed us in their top 5 of the Best Engineering Employers 2017 and we were honoured to be named by the Association of Consultancy and Engineering as Diversity and Inclusion Champion in 2017.
We are a medium sized consultancy, currently with over 220 employees and partners operating out of five offices within the UK. This role is based within our London office, but will involve working with people in all of our offices.
What we offer
- Excellent growth opportunity to develop and hone skills in a knowledge driven environment
- An exciting opportunity to help shape how we develop our approach to digital engineering
- Working in a growing, friendly office located in a thriving city.
- An inclusive culture and cooperative environment
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunities for Partnership, with all the benefits profit-sharing entails, after approximately four years
- Six weeks holiday (including Bank holidays)
Now what to do
If you have the skills we are looking for, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, please use the following link: https://maxfordhamllp.livevacancies.co.uk/#/job/details/56
Please ensure that you include a chatty letter with your CV in your application. If you have any additional queries, please contact Kathryn Donald at email@example.com.
If you are successful in securing this role, you will need to be able to demonstrate that you are eligible to work in the UK.
Closing date for applications is 1st March 2020.
Max Fordham LLP is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment. We seek to ensure that no applicant, employee or member of the partnership is discriminated against, either directly or indirectly, in relation to their religion and religious beliefs, age, race, sex, sexual orientation or disability.