SUSTAINABILITY CONSULTANT, MASTERPLANNING - LONDON, CAMBRIDGE, BRISTOL, OR MANCHESTER
London, Bristol, Cambridge or Manchester
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a Sustainability Consultant specialising in masterplanning to join our Sustainability team working on some of the most progressive and influential projects that Max Fordham undertakes. We guide sustainability strategies and undertake lifecycle carbon, circular economy, net zero carbon and building performance services.
This role is focused on planning for sustainable places, aiming to shape communities of the future to enhance wellbeing, while responding to and mitigating the effects of climate change.
The role will involve delivering strategies for masterplans in a client facing capacity, it may also involve leading technical aspects of the strategy, depending on the level of technical expertise of the successful candidate. You would be pursuing new work and expanding and developing our existing masterplanning services, accessing experience across the practice, and working closely with our Sustainability Director.
Additionally, this role will involve developing and delivering project sustainability strategies from inception through to hand over, for buildings or portfolios. It will also entail supporting junior members and managing projects at a commercial and technical level.
We are a purpose driven organisation at the forefront of delivering sustainable design consultancy within the built-environment sector and firmly believe that delivering real sustainable change means tailoring analysis and advice to influence the specific design on a given project.
The position will be based in London, Cambridge, Bristol, or Manchester.
This role will suit a consultant with experience in the areas of sustainability, planning, architectural design, urban design or civil engineering. If you have direct experience of working on large masterplanning projects, we are particularly keen to hear from you.
Good team working skills are essential, as is a methodical, output focused approach. You will have excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills, complemented by an ability to present information clearly and concisely, set clear expectations for the output needed from others, and excellent organisational skills. You will enjoy developing lasting relationships with clients, collaborators and colleagues.
You will be able to develop a project brief and manage delivery and possess an excellent understanding of how sustainable outcomes can be achieved on different project types. You will also be capable of defending and advocating for the sustainability agenda within a project team.
A strong interest in the design and development of sustainable communities and good communication skills are key to success in this role.
Essential experience and skills:
- Experience working on Masterplanning project as a sustainability consultant, masterplanner or architect, planner, urban designer, or civil engineer
- Job running and management of multiple projects
- Deep engagement with the issues and solutions for sustainable communities, and the issues and payoffs associated with their development
- Knowledge of sustainable and net zero carbon design
- Structuring and writing design reports
- Preparing bids and fee proposals
- Client, design team or contractor facing experience
- Supervision of junior team members
Desirable experience and skills:
- Development of bespoke sustainability frameworks
- Workshop facilitation
- Setting and delivering sustainability strategies and processes for new projects or portfolios
- Life Cycle Carbon Analysis
- Developing Circular Economy Strategies
- Knowledge of BREEAM or other environmental assessment methods such as Home Quality Mark or LEED, Living Building Challenge etc
- Qualification as a BREEAM Assessor or AP
- WELL, Fitwel and other experience of designing for Wellbeing
- Qualification as a Chartered Environmentalist
- Experience in organisational sustainability consultancy
- Experience of the whole construction process
- Environmental design modelling - Please note that building physics modelling is not part of this role but prior experience may be beneficial
WHAT WE OFFER
- An inclusive culture and cooperative environment in a purpose driven organisation
- Excellent growth opportunities for your personal and career development in a knowledge driven environment
- Mentored support towards professional accreditation
- Interesting and technically challenging projects
- Opportunities for involvement in business-running activities
- Flexible working arrangements
- Competitive pay and employee bonus
- Future opportunities for Partnership
- Six weeks holiday (including Bank holidays)
- Max Fordham Pension Scheme
- Other benefits include generous paid parental leave, sick pay, and treatment pay
£45,000 - £55,000 depending on experience and location
14th February 2023
How to apply
This position is available for an immediate start.
If you are interested in working with us, we are keen to hear from you. In addition to providing your CV, please apply with a conversational letter that tells us how your skills match our criteria and your interests align with our vision of a beautifully engineered net zero carbon world.
Please use this link to apply.
If you have any additional queries, please contact Anya Hadden at email@example.com.