No.1 Smithery, Chatham Historic Dockyard
The No.1 Smithery is a Grade II listed Scheduled Ancient Monument, located within the Chatham Historic Dockyard. Built in 1806, the Smithery was previously used for iron working and is one of only three surviving Naval smitheries.
The model ship stores demonstrate our preference for passive environmental control in archives and stores, maximising natural systems while using minimal mechanical servicing.
The building has been maintained and free-standing insertions have been built within the Smithery to provide exhibition space and storage facilities for the Chatham Historic Dockyard Trust’s extensive collection of model ships.